The U.K. government announced last week that it will stop selling its annual children’s theme park, Sesame Street, because it is no longer a profitable operation.
“We have been made aware of this decision by the United Kingdom Government,” the park’s parent company Sesame Workshop said in a statement.
“The decision to close the Sesame Park and other Sesame City locations was made following careful consideration of our business strategy and financial situation.”
The park closed in October 2017 after two decades of running in the UK.
Sesame Village, which opened in 2005, has been operating in the United States since 2011.
The closure is likely to hurt attendance, according to a recent report by the Wall Street Journal.
The park was able to make a profit in 2017 because it sold a majority stake in Sesame World and added new programming to its catalog.
“There was a lot of demand for Sesame,” said Sesame CEO Edna O’Brien, according the WSJ.
“Selling a part of the Sesamestand business, and we did sell a part, was very profitable.”
The WSJ reports that Sesame was able, at the time, to sell the remaining stake to a Chinese company that is reportedly owned by Chinese billionaire Wang Jianlin.
The WSJB says that Wang is currently in charge of Sesame and will be in charge when the S-Town theme park closes.
“If you look at the financials, there was no profit,” Sesame executive director John Hirsch said in the WSJB article.
“In fact, the only way to be able to run the business was to sell off all of our businesses.”
Sesame has been in the news recently due to a series of high-profile deaths.
In October, a 13-year-old girl who died of complications related to a virus was found dead in her crib.
That same month, a man died of Ebola after contracting the virus in Texas.
On Tuesday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported that two people were diagnosed with the Ebola virus.